Monday, August 18, 2014

Eat Right or Die!

Painful Memory
I was just now reminded of a painful event in my past. I had a friend with diabetes. For some reason known only to him, he just had to, had to, eat fast food for lunch every day. Packing his own lunch (prepared according to diabetic-friendly guidelines) was simply not an option. Never mind that thousands of workers in our town must have been packing their own. He would pitch a fit at the idea of giving up his fast food. Needless to say, his logic escaped me at the time.
He came to a very bad end. The diabetes crippled him. He died young.

The Chef's Salad Diet
Another story comes to mind. I was out to dinner with a group of friends. There were eight of us at the table. One of the ladies present looked up from her plate and asked me,
"How can you eat so much and stay so skinny?"
I was the only person there who was not frankly obese. Two of them had diabetes and one had heart problems. The answer to her question was on the plates in front of us for all to see.
Yes, my plate was heaped higher than anyone's. It was a chef's salad.
All the others had some variation of fried starch.
Coincidence? You decide.

Books for people trying to lick diabetes, heart problems, or just plain trying to lose weight - I personally know people who have done very well with the programs outlined in these books. You will also find websites, YouTube videos, and DVDs based on the authors' works.

1. For meat eaters, this is the premier book for those trying to survive diabetes.
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars by Richard K. Bernstein
 
2. For arch-vegetarians, no meat or dairy to be found, but it works just as well as Bernstein's - I've seen it.
Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr.


3. This one splits the difference between all meat and all plants. As with the others, I've seen it work.
The 7 Principles of Fat Burning: Lose the weight. Keep it off. by Eric Berg D.C.



No comments:

Post a Comment