How do we deal with the realities of today's world and remain true to ourselves?
What does it mean for a man (or woman) living in today's world to live an ethical life?
What does it mean to live a moral life in today's world?
In short, what does it mean to live as a complete human being; what does it mean to Go Our Own Way?
Is there even a single pat answer to this question? (That would simplify things, wouldn't it.)
Philosophers (and charlatans) have spilled tons of ink writing about this. I have some favorite picks, some of whom contradict others. (So it goes - it's been proven that philosophy cannot be logical.)
Here is a starter list (all of these have thousands of videos dedicated to them on YouTube):
- The Cynics (the school of philosophy, not the grumps who bad
mouth everyone) Diogenes is the best known Cynic. This is the school
that best describes today's MGTOW.
- Epicurus (my go-to guy for the philosophy school named after
him.) He was charged with atheism, immorality, and disrupting the
social order. He invented "laid back" as a formalized way
of life - no marriage, no children, no performing social duties,
just free men, women, courtesans of both sexes, and slaves hanging
out and getting along without conflict. Far out man!
- Epictetus (my go-to guy for Stoic philosophy)
- Marcus Aurelius (Roman Emperor and Stoic philosopher)
- Plato (when it comes to Western philosophers, there is Plato
and then all the others)
- The Bible - read up on the Ten Commandments and The Sermon on